Monday, May 26, 2008

Eatery

so for the next month, I'm subletting and sharing an apartment on the edge of hell's kitchen in new york, which is well known for its many restaurants. As I am a complete foodie, my goal is to eat at 75% of the food places in the area. I started my quest with visiting friend Megan by heading to 53rd and 9th Avenue to try Eatery, a self-proclaimed "new american restaurant." We were hungry and ready to partake in a New York tradition, the Sunday brunch. Though situated on a relatively quiet corner, Eatery was already buzzing at noon (which is the equivalent of a 7am on a weekday), with only a handful of tables empty. By a stroke of luck, Megs and I were able to snag an outdoor table with a minimum wait. Sunday brunch outdoors on a sunny day: perfect. And the menu looked amazing.
We had the hardest time deciding whether we wanted something sweet or something savoury - actually, we just had a hard time deciding (who wouldn't with a menu like that?). In the end, we decided to split "chicks in a blanket" and "stuffed french toast."
Chicks in a blanket (they actually serve four in a serving)
Stuffed French toast
And I'm so glad we did! Chicks in a blanket is a play on pigs in a blanket, substituting tasty chicken sausage for the traditional pork or beef item and pancakes for the bread. Served with a light maple syrup, it is the perfect combination of salty and sweet. The only sour note is the small portion of fruit that comes with the dish; I found the strawberries, mango, lychee, etc to be very acidic and incongruous with the rest of the food. Chicks in a blanket actually seems like a somewhat healthy choice for Sunday brunch, unlike the sinfully delightful stuffed French toast, which is filled with chocolate, bananas, and cream cheese. Every bite is heavenly, though I found myself wondering how anyone managed to finish the whole thing - Megs and I split it in half and barely finished our own portions. Probably the most decadent thing on the menu, we speculated that the least fatty thing on the plate was the vanilla ice cream on top. Despite that, it was the best French toast that I have ever had.

I can't wait to go back for lunch or dinner - or even brunch again!

No comments: