Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hong Kong! (II)

Food
I think my favourite part of Hong Kong was all the food - the dim sum, the roast meat stores. All so good! But there were a couple of dishes that stood out.

Teochew soya sauce goose
We accidentally wandered into a dimsum-by-day/restaurant-by-night place in kowloon one day, and I am so glad we did. My dad was instantly captivated by the sight of the geese hanging in the store window, and insisted on ordering a plate for dinner. Though I'm not usually a big goose eater, I really enjoyed these; the slices were just the right size, and the seasoning was absolutely perfect. These are served on top of soft tofu, which is the perfect complement to the dish. Yum.

Rice Noodle Rolls with Shrimp
This was another fabulous dish. It usually comes with dim sum, and I've had it many times before - its a frequent order whenever I go out for dim sum. But these rolls were really different - the rice noodles were so incredibly thin and delicious, and the sauce was just the perfect amount of sweet and salty.

Congee with Salted Pork and Century Egg
So my mom told me that something I had to eat while in HK was congee. I'm usually not the hugest fan - the last few times I've had it, the congee has been too thick or too bland, with thick and unappetizing pieces of century egg. It doesn't look like much in the picture, but this bowl of congee was really delicious - the egg was sliced into bite size chunks, the porridge was not too thick or too thin, and best of all, was tasty! I think I ended up eating it every single day that I was in HK.

Shopping
Also fantastic in HK, though I didn't end up buying too much. It was really fun just to walk around and see all the different types of shopping available, from designer malls, to road side stores.

Mong Kok Ladies Market
This place really reminds me of those outdoor markets in Thailand. I really enjoyed walking through the stores and seeing all the different things they had for sale - from current fashions to bags of all kinds, to toys for toddlers and dvds. My parents actually went a little DVD crazy when we were there...
...though to be fair, they did buy that "kiss" series for my viewing pleasure. I should start that sometime. I also saw the cutest pillows for sale there:
KOALA PILLOWS! They look just like the koalas on those chinese snack food things :) haha, adorable!

H&M
Okay, I had to have a shout-out to H&M, which is probably the store that I'll miss the most in Singapore...though I have heard that they're going to open a branch there soon. YAY! Anyway, all the other stores in this area were really nice too, with names ranging from Gucci to Marks & Spencer.

Dried Seafood Store
These were everywhere in HK - dried scallops, mussles, anchovies. They also sell "delicacies" like bird's next (which is really just swallow spit. GROSS) and abalones - not my kind of thing, but popular in HK anyway :)

I definitely enjoyed my trip there, and I would love to go back again sometime - but this time I'm bringing a bigger suitcase!

No comments: