Friday, August 8, 2008

ISWAK 1 Notes

So I'm back to my ISWAK madness - I'm skimming through the entire first season again and summarizing the episodes so everytime I want to watch a specific scene, I know exactly where to go. And this time I'm doing it without subtitles. My Mandarin is going to be so awesome!!!

While rewatching the first couple of episodes - when Xiang Qin and Zhi Shu are still in high school, I noticed a couple of interesting things. Firstly - I LOVE that the cool kids in high school aren't the ones who dress a certain way or act a certain way - the cool kids in this drama are the ones who study hard and follow family values. Zhi Shu is one of the few rebels in the drama, for though he's incredibly intelligent, he has few qualms when facing down his parents. But even so, he values his parents' every opinion very deeply and goes out of his way to make sure they're happy. In comparison, in American TV shows, filial obedience isn't even a factor in many shows.

Family is also a larger part of the Taiwanese TV serial (of any Asian drama series actually) than in shows filmed in the US. In every single Asian TV show that I've watched - and believe me, I've seen plenty! - family is an integral part of the show. While in many serials, the younger characters are the focus of the show, parental drama and involvement is always a given. And in many other drama shows, older characters are given equal footing in the serial. It is implicit in these shows that family will always be involved in each other's lives. Family connections and interactions are the glue that holds most Asian drama shows together (and of course, a love story).

In comparison, family isn't even an issue in most US TV shows - rarely do parents or siblings even appear in such serials. Take one of the most popular comedy shows in the US right now, "How I Met Your Mother". The show revolves around the lives of five fast friends in New York. All are independent and live without their parents. In fact, through the 3-4 seasons that have already been released, the only times family has appeared has been for the holidays or special occasions.

Interestingly, because of their intimacy, younger members of the family don't hide their character or habits from their parents. Xiang Qin and Zhi Shu aren't afraid to go drinking with their parents - even in high school. In fact, it is Xiang Qin's father who is most aware of Xiang Qin's inability to drink. Conversely, in "Friends," Monica tries desperately to hide her drunkenness from her parents at her surprise 30th birthday party. While it is appropriate to share the occasional glass of wine together, American families - at least those on tv shows - do not go out to drink and enjoy each other's company.

I have totally meandered off topic. I guess I'll have to gush about the two later :) I end with one of my favourite Xiang Qin and Zhi Shu pictures. Gosh, I hope Ariel Lin and Joe Cheng get together some day :)


No comments: