Thursday, August 7, 2008

To sleep, perhaps to dream...

It's official! I'm moving home to Singapore in a week. I have mixed feelings about the move; Singapore has always been familiar to me, since it's been one constant in a life of uncertainties, but I've never had the chance to really live and settle there before. Fortunately, I don't have to go through the arduous process of looking for an apartment, a roommate, etc, as my family has a place there already.

Which means of course, I finally have a permanent room. I haven't had one since Bangkok, so I'm looking forward to having a room I don't have to move out of after a couple of months or so. There's furniture in my room already - some of which I'm not fond of - but I'm going to (as Tim Gunn says on PR) "make it work!"

So there's already a bed, a mini-sofa, a table, and a bookcase in my room, as well as built in closets. I want to get a lamp, curtains, a rug perhaps, a throw and cushions for the sofa, maybe another desk (and get rid of the one I have), and another bookcase. Now anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge fan of IKEA - so I trolled their singapore website today looking for potential furniture for my room...i love this Gustav desk! it's really picturesque, and has an old-fashioned and feminine feel that I love! I wish it were in white (I have dark wooden floors and a small room, so lighter colors would work better), but its so pretty! unfortunately, it's like, $429, which is a little out of my price range.
But I'm probably going to end up getting this Mikael desk instead. It's functional, the right color, and relatively inexpensive at $99.

I also love this chair!! It has such personality, and looks so comfortable. The print's a little kitschy, but it's so adorable. Too bad I already have a chair...

Back to stuff that I actually need.
I've wanted this lamp since I first saw it at Ikea two years ago. It was impractical to get it when I wasn't sure if I was staying in NYC post-college, but now I can! I thought about getting a more colourful floor lamp, but then I realized that this was going behind a blue couch, so it makes more sense something neutral.

I also want gauzy purple curtains, but I can't seem to find them at Ikea...guess I'll have to check out the friendly neighbourhood store. I'm being called to dinner now, but I'm definitely going to continue looking at furniture etc once I get back. I'm going to miss Bed, Bath, and Beyond ...

No comments: